Thursday, January 15, 2009

Red Sox Update

Last week, I wrote a little about what it means for the Yankees to have seemingly won the winter. Well, I'm here today to tell you that I'm not so sure that the Yankees have even won the winter. I mean, did the Red Sox sneak up and win this offseason while the Yankees were too busy writing checks? Only time will tell but the combined price tag for all of the players the Red Sox have signed in the last week is about what the Yankees are going to pay Mark Teixeira next year.

The biggest news is that the Red Sox have signed consumate professional and post season star John Smoltz. For all of the failures of the Braves teams of the 1990s, Smoltz was among the lone bright stars compiling one of the best won loss records of all time. I know he'll be 42 next year and is coming off of shoulder surgery but I like this signing.







Another signing that I like is Brad Penny. When healthy he's been among the best in all of baseball. He came to Boston for relatively cheap money and if he can give us 12-15 wins I'd be happy.









Next up for the Red Sox is New England native Rocco Baldelli. I like this signing for no other reason than they gave him number 5, Nomar's old number. Baldelli will fit perfectly as an extra outfielder and his speed will be a huge bonus to the team next year.






Another signing that I'm jacked and pumped about is the addition of Takashi Saito. Here's another guy who has flourished in Los Angeles the last few years relatively unnoticed around MLB. He'll replace Mike Timlin and will be the key link between the starters and Hideki Okajima. One other reason I like this signing is that I think he'll add another level of comfort for fellow countrymen Daisuke Matsuzaka and Okajima.






The last guy I'm going to take a look at is Mark Kotsay. He was a key contributor down the stretch last year, as well as in the playoffs. He can play the corner infield positions as well as all three outfield spots. Between Mike Lowell's unkown status and JD Drew being a complete wuss, I wouldn't mind see Kotsay get 400 at bats next year. In fact, I wouldn't be shocked if he were starting by the end of the year.

The thing that I like about all of these signings is that they all wanted to come to Boston and I believe that they all had offers for more money elsewhere but they chose to play here. Contrast that with CC Sabathia's hesitation to sign in New York and Teixeira waiting it out until the last minute before having his wife decide where he should play. The guys that the Yankees have signed this offseason are going to New York for the money. The guys that Red Sox signed this offseason are coming to Boston to win championships.

No comments:

Football Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory