Sunday, October 12, 2008

Week 6 NFL Picks

It's hard to believe that another week has come and gone for the NFL. And what a bizarre few weeks it's been. Supposed powerhouses such as Indianapolis, San Diego and Cincinnati are all struggling. After just five weeks, Cincinnati's season is already over and thanks to some late game heroics, Peyton Manning and the Colts sit at an unimpressive 2-2. They're lucky they're not 0-4. Meanwhile, the Giants and Titans keep rolling right along. And in the weeks ahead we'll see if Buffalo, Carolina and Pittsburgh are for real, along with the Matt Cassel led New England Patriots.

Anyway, here are this weeks picks. And just for fun, I'm mixing things up a bit so the winning team this week is in CAPS. If you've been paying attention, you'll know that's not much of a mix up.

Sunday, October 12
Chicago at ATLANTA
Atlanta had a big win at Green Bay last week so we'll see if they can keep up the momentum against a tough Chicago defense.

BALTIMORE at Indianapolis
Something just doesn't look right about the Colts this year. Playing the Ravens isn't going to help them.

Detroit at MINNESOTA
Maybe we should give Detroit to the CFL.

Oakland at NEW ORLEANS
I don't like either team here. New Orleans is playing terrible right now but Oakland has pretty much stunk the last five years.

CINCINNATI at NY Jets
Not sure why I'm picking the Bengals here, other than the fact that I think Brett Favre is going to continue having a roller coaster ride in New York.

CAROLINA at Tampa Bay
The Panthers seem to have a bit of a swagger this year and I like that. Tampa Bay's constant rotation of QB's is going to catch up with them at some point soon.

St. Louis at WASHINGTON
On second thought, maybe we should give St. Louise and Detroit to the CFL.

Miami at HOUSTON
I can't believe I'm picking Houston after watching them (and by them, I mean Sage Rosenfelds) throw away the game against Indy last weekend.

JACKSONVILLE at Denver
The season is sort of on the line for Jacksonville here and I don't think one good game against Tampa Bay has solved Denver's defensive woes. They just give up too many points.

DALLAS at Arizona
Not sure why Pacman Jones is allowed to play in this game but even without him, Dallas still doesn't give up many points.

Philadelphia at SAN FRANCISCO
I'm picking the 49ers here for the simple fact that I feel like the Eagles could single handedly beat themselves at this point, which they basically did against the Redskins last weekend.

Green Bay at SEATTLE
No clue why I would pick a team that has no wide recievers but I guess I don't have much faith in Aaron Rodgers' shoulder, either.

NEW ENGLAND at San Diego
There won't be much of an in depth preview of this game because there's really not much to talk about. Just like the Red Sox own the Angels in the playoffs, the Patriots own the Chargers in the pre season, regular season, post season and everthing in between. In fact, I'm not even sure there's one player on the Chargers roster that I'd take over any player on the Patriots roster, position for position right now, and that includes the quarterbacks. If Bill Belichick has faith in Matt Cassel than so do I.

I have no doubt that the Patriots will have to put up at least 30 to win this game but the Chargers defense isn't very good right now and they give up just about 26 points a game. As we saw last week against the 49ers, the Patriots are still capable of going deep and Randy Moss is still the most dangerous wide receiver in the NFL.

One last fact about this game: both of these teams have lost to the Miami Dolphins this year. Did you ever think you'd read those words?

Patriots 35 - 21 with Rodney HGHarrison getting more penaltly yards than LaDanian Tomlinson gets rushing yards.

Monday, October 13
NY Giants at CLEVELAND
I chose a really bad year to pick the teams playing the Giants. And speaking of the Giants, when are they going to stop playing minor league teams? Seriously, I didn't even know that there was a AAA league in the NFL. I love how everyone already says they're going to repeat this year based on their impressive 4-0 record. . . against absolutely horrible teams. Bottom line is that if the Patriots and Giants were playing today, I'd still pick the Patriots (and probably lose again).

No comments:

Football Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory